View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #86
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post
Keep your celica. As of now, it's the last made Toyota sports car in the US with a fantastically reliable Toyota engine. (I consider the tC a sport compact, and let's just leave the LFA out) FWD or not, I still get excited when I see them. It reminds me of why I enjoy Toyota so much, cars like the celica. Inexpensive, super reliable, easy to work on, maintain and repair. And you have the GT-s with the Action Package, great looking car.

When they were on sale, I didn't quite realize how much I appreciate them like I do now. I would love to have one as a DD and keep my FR-S for the weekend.
I only have room for one car since I bought a house. I don't drive the Celica in winter at all. My Celica has an ACT clutch that is barely streetable and a CAI that damn near scrapes the ground so when we get our flash floods it's impossible to go anywhere with it, unless I want to hydro lock. Plus, being that low, I'm sure scrapping snow into it wouldn't help either.

I love the car, it's amazing fun to drive, I have the 6 speed, the 2ZZ is honestly my favorite engine of any car I've had. That scream when lift does its thing is fantastic. The reliability is there for sure. I used to have a Toyota Cressida (MKIII Supra in sedan clothing) too and that thing was great, I'm a long time Toyota customer/fan.

With Toyota North America's current direction, they had 10 years to sort it out, they've blown it. Japan tried to help them out but they had to make the 86 a Scion and do what they did to it. There's no Toyota sports car still. I tried to deal with it and go the Scion route but the dealership couldn't get me any of the removed Toyota parts I wanted. I wrote emails and letters to Toyota, including an eight page letter to Seiji Ichii, President and CEO of Toyota Canada, at my local dealers suggestion, and the best response I got was "the scion FR-S is sold in North America and the GT 86 will not be sold." Didn't even respond to my request to get the parts.

The Toyota I knew and loved is dead and gone. I can't rep them anymore and I've got a Chev Cobalt SS Turbo now. I can drive it in winter, it's still fun with more power, not as satisfying as the 2ZZ scream, but it's still good. They balanced the SS at 50/50, brembo brakes, rebranded eibach suspension upgrades over base 'balts, it's a decent package. At least until something else comes up, but Toyota has done everything they can to turn me away and nothing to keep me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trd_kid View Post
see to me I always viewed the tc as the celica gt replacement being the new sport compact (never considered the fwd celicas a sports car).

And I don't understand the scion hate seeing how it is just another marquee of toyota . Most people know scions are toyotas. Hell my old tc was titled as a toyota...
If you can find one with a 2ZZ, take it for a spin and you must hit redline. Normally you advise against that, but with the 2ZZ it's a must and you'll understand why when you do it. The engine is made to do just that. In spite of being FWD it handles amazingly well and they weigh ~2550 lbs. The tC never was a replacement for the Celica in my eyes, not even close.

I've gone over, plenty of times, why I hate Scion on these forums. There's more reasons than what I listed in this post. I really don't want to get into those details again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
And I'd be so sorry to see you go. No, really...
I don't recall the username, so I'm not sure if you're serious or sarcastic.