Old 11-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #92
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I think you're assuming the person either 1) never leaves town or 2) if they do they either have another car or takes mass transportation.

I have plenty of family members that have one "do everything" car. Every year, every one of them take plenty of trips that would require them to refuel on the go. Their single car needs to meet that need without being "a burden".

Like anything else, it's the last 10% of use cases that require 90% of the work to resolve.
There are chargers and Superchargers for trips, or yes, someone could use someone else's car if that didn’t meet their needs. We are a two car family, but my uncle, as an example, has three teenage kids, so they are a five car family, so someone could own the gas car, and the rest could own electric. We borrowed my dad’s truck to go to the snow before we got the Q5. The BRZ doesn’t work for Home Depot trips or for camping or for Tahoe trips. Similarly, current electric might not meet the needs of everyone and for every situation. If vehicles needed to be everything then the Miata or BRZ wouldn’t exist. Again, no one is claiming the EV would be perfect in every situation or the most convenient in every situation.
Dadhawk (11-21-2019)