View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
imped4now

Drives: '17 BRZ PP - '17 FoRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was in the *exact* same boat, comparing the same 3 cars. To preface, I also own a Focus RS and when I really put my thoughts on paper, I wanted something that was yin to its yang.

With that said, the 370Z dropped out first. It's about the same weight as my RS with a big, powerful engine (although not quite as fast as my RS). Not different enough, not light enough.

The ND Miata is a gem. I drove a 2016 ST, 2017 ST, 2017 RF, and 2019 RF. I really, really wanted a '19 RF Club w/ Brembo/BBS package and Recaro seats, as the standard seats leave much to be desired and the wheels/brakes not only look great but provide some real added benefits. However, that's a $35k+ car and I couldn't justify that.

So, enter the BRZ. I was originally not overly excited about this car. But, I decided that I'd like to look into a 17+ with Performance Package due to the updates, Brembo brakes and Sachs dampers. And boy oh boy, was it like a lightbulb going on....excellent seats without having to spend a bunch more (better than the ND Recaros that I tested), excellent seating position, crisp shifter, *great* steering feel, perfect pedal spacing, and actual, usable space. The latter item is not one I was overly concerned with, but the ND literally has an unbearably low amount of storage space. The BRZ's trunk is respectable for the car's size and with the back seats (tiny) folded down, the space is great. The car is light, likes to rev (7500 RPM redline just like the 19 ND) and really encourages you to drive it hard. The Brembo brakes that come with the PP are larger (same size as the WRX STi) and feel stronger than the ND's, as well.

And thus, I found the nicest used '17 w/PP I could find in the nation - 1900 miles and I got it for $23,500. It had the factory STi short shifter installed (highly recommended) and showed up w/ a brand new set of A/S3+ tires (the same ones I was going to buy for it) and the STi muffler. Otherwise, bone stock and clean as can be. You simply cannot beat that value for a lightweight, RWD, NA driver's car. I'm still thrilled with it and look forward to driving it as much as possible.

Tip - if you go drive one, let it warm up first and don't drive it softly. However, don't expect much until ~4k RPM. Flooring it down low won't impress you so don't even bother. Instead, roll into the throttle progressively. It's a very enjoyable car when understood and utilized correctly.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imped4now For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019), FRS_FIEND (01-02-2019)