View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #37
borge12

Drives: Tie Fighter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
So the idea of adding extra airbags just to prevent that from happening is, to me, laughable. Even more so considering that when I drive my car, my knees are already less than half an inch from the dash and the steering column is between my knees. There is no way an airbag could protect my knees in my car, and there is nothing down there that they need to be protected from. It's just molded plastic with several inches of air behind it. To think that people need to be coddled to such an extent simply boggles my mind.

And as for breaking femurs, if I was in an accident where my legs were subjected to enough force to break a femur I would count myself very lucky to come out of it with just a broken leg. Femurs are tough SOBs, and any crash serious enough to break one could easily be fatal.
That seems rather short sighted. Not everyone is half an inch from the dash and there are more than just the femur in a leg. I've hurt my knees bad enough from falls rock climbing that I couldn't walk, so, knee airbag sound reasonable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
Thanks. Usually that type of collisions are less lethal, aren't they? Especially, if I am cutting them off in my blind spot? :p
To think yourself impervious to accidents is pretty silly. You know, that there are other people on the road, who despite your driving ability, can and will hit your car?
borge12 is offline   Reply With Quote