Thread: Open ECU?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #138
SprayedBigCube

Drives: 2013 FRS 6M, 2010 Camaro 2SS 6M
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Agreed. I wonder how much wiggle room there is from the EPA friendly exhaust timing that could be recovered. Toyota must have really yanked on it alot to create a large lobe separation angle for little to negative overlap.

I assume if you're tuning in speed density, you've either got a real VE table or god forbid (as GM has recently done with Gen IV ECUs) an inferred (from parameters) VE table. How bad are the midrange VE numbers looking? Can you post a screen shot?

Also, I would assume the FA20 MAF is common to other Subaru or Toyota engines. What's the range and how far thru the range does the stock power put it (or how close to maxed out is it?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
The dip is due to poor VE there. Keep in mind I'm tuning a full stand-alone Hydra EMS in speed density so MAF is not part of my equation. While intake cam and exhaust cam tuning, along with other strategies minimize the dip, it's still there.

I have tuned other high output NA engines that use variable cam tuning and high lift cams so I've dealt with this before. From everything I've learned so far this engine has an aggressive exhaust cam that uses cam timing down low to keep it EPA friendly/fuel efficient. Even when cam timing is changed on both intake and exhaust its just not enough to elevate the torque dip entirely. I suspect the cams centerline could be tweaked to correct some of this but at the expense of peak power.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
FRS bone stock. Camaro SS LSA forged, stroked, ported, nitrous plate w/standalone, dyno tuned old stock cube numbers: NA-473/437, N20-585/626 at the wheels, 3.90 RPM diff, ACT twin-disk clutch, 18x10 F14's w/NT05R 305/45's, and other supporting mods.
SprayedBigCube is offline   Reply With Quote