View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #180
Noble713

Drives: MkIV Supra & Evo X
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
If you are bringing used into it, why would anyone pay $26k for an FR-S when you can get a C5 Z06 or C6 non-Z06 for the same money? You can find an Elise for under $30k that will destroy an FR-S.
There's VERY few <$30k modern (C5+) Corvettes in Japan, and none of 'em are Z06s. There are some cheap Elises, but considering the interior in those overgrown go-karts, it's no wonder the GT86 sells.

Stateside is different.

The only arguments for buying the Twins in the US that I can think of are:
-semi-usable back seats (possibly the biggest deal-breaker for some buyers)
-some other practicality/daily driver benefits (don't Lotuses have crap head units/climate control?)
-styling aesthetics (personally I find the Miata ugly)

So if you have <$30k to spend, possibly only have a budget for 1 vehicle, and need something semi-practical, the argument for the Twins can still be made under certain criteria. The chassis/suspension is great and it's not that expensive to add power (if you go forced induction), so you can get power, handling, practicality, and modern Japanese styling all in one daily driven package.

Point is....@ the $60k track car price point? No bueno. Neither in the States nor in Japan. Just my ¥2.

Hell, I'd love to see a track comparison of the 14R60 and the Lexus RC-F. Both Toyota coupes and they're in practically the same price range. And that fatass Lexus still manages a higher power/weight ratio....