Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
This is one of the reasons I have gone back to a twin. I may make mine faster, but the car is still pretty fun at 45mph, where as my P-cars not as much. Of course I live in flat and straight Oklahoma, if I had more twisties and hills I may feel different.
I think being in a big open space with little turning is indeed affecting your judgement. Newer Porsches can hold their own in a straight line, but we know where they shine is when you have to turn the wheel, same as our arguably underpowered twins. Sure, cruising the straight chunks of highways and turnpikes is pretty disengaged in either car, but when I autocross my Porsche, trying to keep grip through a turn while you're going 45mph is pretty intense and fun, and taking little backroad jaunts on twisty roads is great. With how easy it is for cars to make high factory horsepower numbers these days, it's understandable that people get disenchanted with it because they can't put it to use on the street without risk. To that I just say find local places to do some off road (courses, not like Jeep off-roading obviously lol) events where you're not limited by speed limits/curbs/pedestrians/traffic and get your money's worth from amazing machines, whether it's a Porsche or a Twin.

My problem is the bucket seats in my old Porsche leave much to be desired in how well they keep you in place. The bolstering needed for real vehicle tossing shenanigans just isn't there, but that's what $40k got you 20 years ago. My right knee is often bruised on the outside after a day of autocross from having to brace myself against the center dash piece during turns in an effort to keep myself from shifting around in the seat. The Twin puts those seats to shame with its ability to hold me, though I've really not put them to a similar test as the Porsche just yet...and I have padding for my knees in the Twin already in place as built, lol. When I can get it on the autocross course we'll see for sure, but even in normal driving the difference is already very apparent to me.