Old 04-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #85
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Definitely something to check out on a test drive - how comfortable are you going to be with a screaming engine when you are trying to change lanes quickly on an arterial road?

People complain about the delayed throttle response of a turbo, but if you suddenly see an opportunity to overtake but have to downshift to do it (whereas you don't in the turbo), that delay will be MUCH longer than the turbo's.
That's a good point. Honda guys used to give me crap about turbo lag all the time yet when I drove some Honda NA 4 cyl VTEC engines, It was like having massive turbo lag without a turbo. Instead of the power not coming in until 2k rpm with a turbo, it doesn't come in until about 6k rpm with VTEC. LOL

But I don't expect this engine to be as bad in that regard. It clearly has more torque than the Hondas down low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
the engine actually doesnt make 151 lb-ft its more around 169lb-ft so really the FA 20 is lacking 11lb-ft off the Porsche engine and its .5L smaller

143 wheel lb-ft ~ 169 crank lb-ft
Interesting. I wonder why it would have more power at the wheels? The Boxster obviously doesn't have a driveshaft but maybe the wheels and brake discs are too big and heavy.