View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 12:13 PM   #23
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Porsche has claimed the same reasons for not offering LSDs on their cars. now that LSDs became active torque vectoring on expensive cars they're all over it though.

It depends on driving style really, if you prefer tail out antics that are facilitated by front engine, RWD, and longer wheelbases (BMW, Nissan S chassis, Gt86/GR86) then an LSD is absolutely beneficial. If you prefer more precision driving that is better suited to a short wheelbase mid/rear engined car (Porsche, Lotus, Alpine), then you don't really need it. Those cars don't really want to drive with the tail out, they always feel like they actively discourage it.

The FT86 is my first experience with an LSD and I've been loving it ever since. It ranks very high on my list of must haves now on any sports car.

Mid engine cars have the advantage of sound with the engine being right behind you, you get to hear the engine more. This is a big deal for me. They do turn in better as well of course. But, I personally really do like the tail out antics as you put it. It's tremendous fun even if it just slides a little bit. The nose of the 86 seems to be accurate enough. Even the EVO article mentioned while the A110 did have sharper turn in, the 86 still held its own.

Overall, I lean towards mid engine over front engine but this statement of yours is making me backtrack that preference. Maybe the 86 did hit the goldilocks point of streetable fun.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (03-20-2023)