View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #39
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86joe View Post
I completely agree. Unlikely any chassis dyno is gonna show +400 with a C38-81 RS setup. I definitely chose the C38 kit because I originally ran it on stock motor 93 fuel and it was my daily at the time so i wanted the low torque for extra precaution. Even though its perfectly possible to hurt the valvetrain with a rotrex but atleast I wasnt going to bend a rod by any means (not with a good tune anyway). I will look into a turbo kit maybe in a year or two to push the built motor a little harder. But in the meantime the RS setup feels fantastic and should be very reliable with the motor build/power levels. In the back of my mind though Im curious how a C38-91 or even the C38R would feel with a small pulley. Just isnt worth spending the +2300$ that those superchargers cost when a 4500$ JDL 3076r kit can make 500hp.
Well, it's nice to see someone who can be objective instead of just a fanboy of the kit they bought! I actually bought a Jackson kit first after having driven the Edelbrock kit. I thought the Jackson felt faster because of the way the power builds up top and it suited me since I liked to keep the revs up above 4K anyway. Plus at the time I felt like if I was gonna spend the money on boost I wanted to hear and feel it, so the Rotrex just fit the bill as I wasn't going to Sprintex and the TVS units are super quiet.

It's pretty hysterical to me that Rotrex advertise their blowers as "silent operation". They are super loud off throttle maybe not more so than any other centrifugal supercharger but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I hadn't heard about the C38R, looks pretty cool. On the plus side if you decide to sell and upgrade, the Jackson kits are easy to sell, they are also half the weight of the TVS kits. Not only a benefit on your car but also makes it easier when you go to ship it.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with centri's. I think if you could have a Rotrex large enough to make 1 bar of boost at 3500rpm and 30 psi at redline it would be perfect!

I have an old comptech kit on my S2K and I enjoy it. My wife hates the sound. She likes the sound of V8's...
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote