Old 02-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #24
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I actually got introduced to a very reputable and well known local builder and was able to really hear what it takes to build it out solidly as well as hear realistically what the 2J can do on only pump gas...if you want to be able to drive it hard. In the end, for $30-40k and limited to 450whp on 91 pump gas it's just not worth it for me, not even close enough to consider it actually. It would make a whole lot more sense to spend the money on an actual Supra, than do a 2J swap. Money is not really the issue, but the 2J just isn't going to make big power on pump gas here. I don't have E85 near by and race gas is way to inconvenient to run. A V8 would be way to obvious to authorities so I'm stuck with the FA20 for now. I'll just watch all you guys doing the swaps with envy!

On average, with a manual transmission, we take pump gas cars on 93 up to about 18-19 psi which generally makes about 550-600 depending on the setup. For a setup like that with reasonably nice parts, stock head and block, you'd end up somewhere around $28-$30k all said and done. If you start adding stuff like cams, valve train, studs, etc you start looking at closer to $35k. But the real issue with getting the car to me is transport, its difficult to find an affordable, reliable guy to do it. I wish I knew a retired guy that would be willing to take my trailer and go drive across country to pick up cars. Buying Supra is extremely costly and most of them, even though they look good in pictures, need lots of work. And in the end, you're still limited to the same hp, only now you have a car that is much harder to replace and has much older bushings, parts, etc. Not knocking Supras, I have one and I love it, but every time I drive it I'm afraid someone is going to run a red light and destroy it. So whether it comes to us or goes somewhere else, my vote is not to give up on the project, they're so much fun when they're done.
Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
Clash0901 (02-08-2019), Seanzky (02-11-2019)