CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Two questions:

1 - I am due to change my BF in my DD (35k miles), and I have a few quarts of ATE super blue that is a few years old (never opened).
Can I use that to push out the old stock BRZ fluid (are all DOT4 BFs compatible with each other)

AND

2 - Regarding having the absolute highest boiling point of BF in a race car.
I was told by a brake expert at driver's school that you will ruin the piston seals in brakes at 400deg ( I assume he meant 400F).
So if that is the case, wouldn't we WANT the fluid to boil and let you know you are cooking the calipers BEFORE you destroy the seals?
Just curious.

Seems to me that IF you boil ANY of the fluids in the chart on page 1, you have already ruined the seals....
1. Yes you can, but you'd use just as much of the "new" fluid to bleed the new fluid after the intermediary fluid.

2. Caliper temperature is not the same as brake fluid temperature. Remember, as fluid compresses (placed under pressuer), it also increases in heat, and the caliper is partially sinking away heat from the pads.

Generally you want to keep caliper temps under 250. If you get hotter than that, it's a sign that you have an inadequate braking system for what you're doing. Using ultra high temp brake fluid is one way of partially band-aiding that, which is really what you're doing with this fluid. Not everyone wants to get a BBK.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
acro (02-02-2016), dp1 (06-03-2016), stugray (12-08-2015)