View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mla163 View Post
With respect to a modifying the front sway bar, is there any significant difference in front swaybar selection for a BRZ compared to a FRS.

The FRS has 135/211 #/in springs and is more tail happy than the BRZ. A big front bar works well here. For a 22mm Strano bar, I get a 72.5% TLLTD from my magical spreadsheet.

The BRZ has 153/195 #/in springs and is a little more pushy than the FRS. In concept, putting on the same size bar (as you would on the FRS) would make the BRZ understeer more. For a Strano bar, I get a 73.1% TLLTD (a tad more push). To get the same handling characteristics, a smaller bar than the FRS would make more sense - say a 21mm. The tradeoff would be more body roll with the smaller bar.

Has anyone taken this into account?

Is there any appreciable difference between an FRS and a BRZ with the same sway bar?

Or am I trying to apply too much logic to stock class? Put on a big ass bar and race it.
I don't think the difference between the two cars is great enough to warrant using a different bar on one versus the other. I debated this myself early on when installing the Strano bar. I also have a Whiteline 20mm adjustable bar and felt the Strano was right in the middle of its two settings in my non-autocross testing earlier this year.

I was going to try each at different events but got lazy and have just left the Strano bar installed so far, but will be using the WL next event. The WL has more adjustability obviously with two holes (can use different holes on each side) as well as adjustable endlinks.

Perrin also now makes a 19/20mm adjustable solid bar.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
mla163 (05-30-2013)