Old 10-29-2019, 11:42 PM   #8
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZinPA View Post
Not a ricer or Instagramer - lol! Just a middle-aged guy who prefers non-turbo engines, balanced handling, and a pure driving experience (you know, the kind that doesn't need an "infotainment system/screen" on the dashboard). Like my NB MX-5 (which I'll soon have to put away for the winter, hence my desire to get a coupe).
Then take it from this guy who bought this as a weekender / track car in my 30s, either the BRZ or 86 is just fine. I agree with @86MLR here. Main thing is to start doing your own maintenance, learn as much as you can about the platform, so that you can tell who is competent and who is not. Then find someone local to take care of things if that's what you'd prefer. Don't just go to the dealership and expect things to be fine. Honestly, that's true for any car. Dealership techs run the gamut, but more of them tend to be morons than good mechanics in my experience.

Doing it yourself pays dividends both in cost (labor is usually more expensive than parts) and in terms of knowing whats up with your car and catching things before they can become problems. Also, it keeps somebody from pulling a fast one on you. There's a lot of shitbags in the world who own shops and like to play hide the weenie. Don't get taken in, do your own basic maintenance and learn enough to talk the talk.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote