View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #5
BRZinPA

Drives: 2019 or 2020 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes, just got done reading the 90+ page "Engine Failure After J02 Recall" thread and the "The Drive" article about the valve spring issue. Even before seeing those items, I agree with your advice to go BRZ over 86.

I test-drove both and although the 86 was considerably less expensive (Toyota had a $3500 rebate at one point in Aug-Sep which combined with the dealer's discount dropped the selling price just below $23.5k), I still preferred the BRZ. One of the key factors being that it's a Subie Boxer engine so service techs familiar with that configuration should be more competent than those without equivalent training and experience.

And I did see some mention on the forum about the cricket chirping, but I believe that also affected some earlier model years....?

Not a ricer or Instagramer - lol! Just a middle-aged guy who prefers non-turbo engines, balanced handling, and a pure driving experience (you know, the kind that doesn't need an "infotainment system/screen" on the dashboard). Like my NB MX-5 (which I'll soon have to put away for the winter, hence my desire to get a coupe).
BRZinPA is offline   Reply With Quote