View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 05:33 PM   #110
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spairo View Post
Either I am losing my mind or there was a post in this thread from 7 hours before I made my wise ass comment. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Your state of mind might be in question but there is a test to see if your cognitive ability is intact. Go to the park and if you encounter a street mime and you have the urge to kill him/her, you are still sane. Resist the temptation to risk a life sentence and feel good about being mainstream. However, a jury of your peers would find you not guilty.

Bringing up an old thread about the importance of adequate insurance coverage will be a service to people who think they are okay. On the off chance that I T-Bone a Bugatti Beyron, I could write a check and be done with it, but you know that would not be the end. The lawyers would not stop until they get the rest. You might ask if I could pay cash for that car and own a BRZ instead, well it has something to do with being married and impulse purchases limited to less than six figures. Plenty of insurance and an umbrella policy on top of that to insulate me from the wolves. Subrogation came up in the conversation and I have an example of how that works. I was driving my company truck northbound on a street at the speed limit. A southbound Chevrolet van was closing in to the same intersection at the same rate that I was; I could estimate that we would pass each other in the middle of that intersection. What I could see that the other drive could not because of obstacles, was a roofing truck was approaching the intersection from my right and I could tell that it was going to blow that stop sign. I got on my brakes only to watch the truck and van meet in the intersection. Not pretty. An ambulance carted off the van driver. I was listed as a witness to the incident and later got called by the lawyer for the roofing company. He tried to find out if I could tell if the van driver was speeding. I saw right away where this was going. I told him unequivocally that I was traveling at no faster than the speed limit and the van matched my speed from the other direction. This is how it works here: even having the right of way, but exceeding the speed limit, the driver lessens the ability of the driver at fault to mitigate the damage by possibly stopping in time or slowing down to lessen the impact of the collision. The responsibility for the collision would be apportioned to both parties. This was not the first time that I crossed paths with that roofing truck and the driver. His glasses must have been an inch thick and I doubt that he could legally drive with vision that bad. There is another non-automotive example of how subrogation works. A long time ago, the line crew at the telephone company where I worked snagged a gas line at the street, but did not break it. The supervisor got involved and did nothing more than pass it on to the gas company who gave it a look and blew it off as found ok. The line crew went on record with the supervisor as objecting to the findings, but left it squarely with the boss. The gas line was broken at the building which was a gas station converted to a residence rented to people illegally in this country. The ground and the building was saturated with gas. One chilly autumn morning, a resident lit a stove for some heat and the whole building blew up resulting in some deaths and injuries. I was interviewed by a variety of people and had the good sense to do a Sgt. Schultz, “I know nothing.” They threw the line crew under the bus and they were fired with the manager untouched. Later the Union got the crew restored to their jobs after the details were revealed. In the end, the financial settlement was apportioned 60/40 with the gas company and the phone company. Large companies can be considered self-insured because if they do have insurance coverage, it often comes with such a high deductible that the only time the insurance coverage kicks in is for catastrophic incidents. Lots of finger pointing and you can see why you need to cover your butt with as much insurance as you can afford. When I was young and had no assets, I only had liability insurance to cover the other guy. My old cars could be totaled if you looked at them crosseyed. I could make a trip to the junkyard and be on the road in a couple of days.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flarpswitch For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-16-2022)