View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
incriminati

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sounds like what we used to call over on the Miata forum, "clutch shudder", which was quite common with older miatas.

I haven't heard that description or reference with this car.

Does it do it worse when it is damp/wet outside?

It could be caused by a worn or warped clutch disk, an out of balance pressure plate, a rough flywheel or the dreaded TOB -

humfrz
Thanks for the reply.

That's the conclusion I came up with, that it was clutch chatter. I hear people calling it shudder/judder as well and I assume it's the same thing.

It's not severe and I'm not noticing any slipping. I'm really at a loss about what to do about it. I guess I can live with it until it gets worse or what have you.

I've tried driving quite a few manual cars and I must say that our transmission is one of the harder to drive. If you're familiar with BMW, Porsche, Audi, heck even regular Toyota, Honda, etc manual transmissions they're all easier to drive than this one it seems. The German ones especially. By easier I mean it's easier to drive smoothly, to perfectly rev match, etc. I understand this is partly due to having a lower catch point and more torque.

But I'm going on a tangent...

I came back here for the valve spring recall and I figured I'd ask about this.

I did hear about the TOB issue. I have no idea what it is, if it's a recall, or what. Just that it's a transmission issue with the throw out bearing. Do you have a link to where I can learn about this issue, how to fix it, etc. Or can you give me a quick rundown.

Thanks again.
incriminati is offline   Reply With Quote