View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #38
DarrenR

Drives: Nissan R32 GTS4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi,

I'm an applications engineer for Motec so I can answer some of the questions about the Motec 86 ECU.

It is a full stand alone, remove the OE ECU entirely and it integrates into the cars system to keep all functionality, similar to the R35 ECU. I'm not sure if cruise control has been implemented yet though. The OE power steering is one system the ECU integrates with and functions as standard.

Flex fuel is an option we are working on for other projects, and may be considered for the 86 ECU. It's not something that can be configured by the end user, yet. Basically if there is enough demand for any features the ECU doesn't have, these can be added in the future.

We haven't done the years of testing on the 86 like we did for the GT-R so we are expecting a few teething problems but if anything pops up it will be fixed immediately.

The price of $3500 going around come from one of my colleagues who was interviewed at an event. He doesn't mention what you get for that but I can confirm the price here in AUD is just a fraction over that. It does work out to be more expensive in USD.
What you get for that is just the ECU, so it's about the same price as a base M800, no options. The M150 is far better than the M800, double the pin count, 250mB of logging, far better tuning software and comes with the likes of cam control, DBW, traction control, anti lag, boost control and the like included in that price, plus DI and port injector control (hi/lo), and vehicle integration. There is very good value for money for the right applications. It may be too expensive for milder application and we would have loved to make the price considerably cheaper it was just not possible. Hence the reason for selling the ECU alone and not only as a kit so customers have the cheapest option available.

Optional extras are
- The adaptor loom. The loom drawings will be available and header connectors can be purchased from various electrical retailers so it's not too difficult to build your own like Full Blown has done. We have a small number of looms coming into stock next week, with a larger number coming mid December.

- Lambda requires an LTC (Lambda to CAN) module, or PLM. This can be a single or dual unit if you want individual banks, and the NTK or Bosch LSU 4.9 versions are available.

- Logging comes standard but restricted to a predefined set, but the 250Mb is standard. This can be upgraded to 2000 channels and up to 1000Hz per channel with a maximum of 150kB/s throughput. That works out to about 35 channels at 1000Hz or ~1800 channels at 20Hz. Pro analysis is also available of course.

LJ at Full Blown has kept on my case for an ECU for the last couple of month, so he's been one of the first to receive an ECU and is helping us test on higher end turbo vehicles. We were hoping to have firmware to them this week, but as usual things always take longer than expected so we're not quite there yet. I'm told it will happen next week, Friday at the latest, but let's just wait and see.
The guys at Full Blown have been great and given us as a very good opportunity to test on the extreme end.
we have been testing with some other local and international dealers for a few months now using an older, less comprehensive firmware with very good results, just getting to the final comprehensive and polished version now, and will be available to the general public before the end of the year.

Cheers,
Darren.

Last edited by DarrenR; 11-23-2013 at 04:09 PM.
DarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DarrenR For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (12-09-2013), cf6mech (12-15-2013), civicdrivr (11-30-2013), crook (11-24-2013), Dipstik-sportech (11-22-2013), drewbot (08-26-2015), FullBlown (11-22-2013), grant (11-22-2013), JD86 (06-14-2014), rusty959 (11-23-2013), Turdinator (12-05-2013)