Old 11-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #11
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpanju View Post
Being 100% honest here. As an 18 year old I wanted that little bit more induction noise, also my first ever mod so I wanted to start with something slow.
Nothing wrong with a CAI as I also love more mechanical induction sounds. As I have learned on my WRX, the location of the MAF sensor should play a big roll in which CAI you go with. My stock airbox had this giant "milk jug" on it that dampened the turbo induction sounds (you'd think the driver would want to hear that). Not sure about the BRZ since I don't own one yet (living vicariously through y'all as I recover from 2nd home purchase).

When it comes to regular maintenance, I never liked needing to break out the Allen wrenches just to open an aftermarket airbox, but my setup had the MAF sensor only accessible from the bottom of the car (got real used to/sick of removing the pop-clips). Seeing that the BRZ intake manifold is on the top of the car vs the bottom of my WRX, maybe this is a non-issue, but something that I hadn't considered until it became a PITA.

As for HP/TQ gains, this is really the wrong car platform for anything that would truly benefit from a CAI. I don't ever calibrate my butt-dyno, but you won't feel anything beyond the psychological "I just did something to my car, I think I felt something different to justify the money/time spent."
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote