View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #27
hachigoku

Drives: BRZ, E90 M3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyls92 View Post
Hi everyone. Im sort of in the same boat. Hoping that someone might share some ideas or another way to move forward.

Just like the OP, I have a 2013 car with 2015 engine. Purchased car not running and replaced engine. (New engine has no valve spring issues). Its been fine and registered since the engine replacement went in.

I now have this recall notice and called Toyota Corporate to see what can be done, I was forwarded to my local Toyota Dealer "Stevens Creek San Jose". However they are not really giving me a clear path forward. They understand the engine is from 2015 and does not need the recall work. They want me to pay for time on the service bay so they can take pictures and send it to corporate but cannot tell me if it will even go anywhere or make any promises, cost would be $150.00.

I have asked if I could pay for some service and have them do it at that time so its win-win, they have told me no.

What i did, before opting to go to Toyota is to ensure that within California, noone could dispute that I am running a legal car. I made an appointment and took my car to the SMOG state ref and showed them my reciepts and explained the motor swap. They consider it an engine "replacement" NOT a "change" and do not issue a BAR sticker. It passed smog fine and the tech stated that car is legal and the record showing it was tested at a state ref is in their system.

So now i have comfort that my car is legal, but do not want think my local Toyota will help with the recall.

I was going to wait until registration time comes up and go to the DMV with a "statement of facts" and explain why I dont need the recall because engine as been replaced.

Hopefully someone can share some information that might help me.....

Thanks in advance.

Summary:
Recall needed on 2013 car with 2015 engine. Have receipts for engine.
Toyota dealer giving me run-around.
Went to STATE REF to ensure im legal.
Now what?
Just wanted to have as much info as possible be available to people in this situation.

Ultimately, the DMV only cares if your car has the recall done..

If you have some type of documentation from the state ref that states you are clear and do not need to do the recall, that might not be enough.

The DMV may not let you renew registration because of the recall.

The NHTSA sends out a notice and the DMV follows that. Maybe call the state ref about this specific case.

---

In my case, they took my vehicle in and did the recall. I got my documentation from the dealership stating the recall is done. My registration sticker is now en route.

I informed them of the new motor, but they still serviced it.

Last edited by hachigoku; 09-10-2019 at 09:02 PM.
hachigoku is offline   Reply With Quote