View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The best thing I learned from this thread is that there's an OFT for the Abarth, that little screamer is looking better and better as a commuter car for me... Now I just need to find a commute.

The best chance Fiat has for success with a sports car is to line it up right next to or slightly above the Abarth at $22k-$25k with a slightly uptuned 1.4L Multiair (like +5hp over the Abarth, they have to do something to overcome the RWD losses otherwise their expensive sports car gets beat off the line by a hot hatch) but I'm not sure if they'd be able to undercut Mazda by that much unless they really cheap out on it somehow like a live rear axle, cheap steel body panels, made in Mexico.

My guess is it'll land in the $25k-$30k range, I doubt base price will exceed $30k given Fiat's current marketing strategy of "hip affordable". Sure with the right styling and quality materials and the big motor from the 4C they could justify a >$35k pricetag with everything expected of it but it'd look out of place next to a fleet of 500 cabriolets on the dealer lot, unless of course it had an Alfa badge. Oh wait, didn't Honda already do that?

Edit: I suppose they could put their standard 4 banger in their for like ~110 hp or their little turbo at 130 to keep the price down, after all the ND will sell just fine with the 1.5L elsewhere.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-15-2015)