Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailwood View Post
I've had both as combination daily drivers and track cars.

The SS 1LE is one of the best packages out of the box you'll find - it literally needs nothing to hit track days, while also being pretty decent on the road. The size and visibility aren't great, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad. The interior is nice and the car is very comfortable in Touring mode - it might be my favorite road trip car I've had. As a track car, the Camaro is just sublime - it makes all the right noises and is incredibly easy to drive. The stock cooling, and even the brakes, are more than adequate for most track usage. As others have said, the biggest downside is the consumables. Plan on $1200+ for tires, and $700 or more for brake pads, and neither last very long.

Having recently moved back to the twin platform, I think the GR is probably the better balance of fun per dollar. The 86 is obviously slower, but with some minor modifications (sway bar, tires, brake pads, camber) it's great on track, and I've also enjoyed it more for street driving since you can actually drive it unlike the Camaro, where a second gear pull would get you to 80mph really quick.

The best way I can describe it is that I'm not having any less fun on track with the GR86 than I did with the Camaro, but I'm doing it a heck of a lot cheaper. In my case, I have no regrets.
Just put ZL1 brakes on the SS1LE and the brake consumables drop massively.

In the SS1LE I could get up to 30mpg on the highway (70-72mph).

I agree with fun on track. I had/have fun with both. I sold my 2SS1LE because I bought a new ZL1 1LE for 53k, then sold that for more than I paid after beating on it for a couple thousand track miles with no issues at all. If I wasn't so against welding a cage in a basically new car I'd still be tracking it instead of the FRS.

IMO though, for the money, an SS 1LE with ZL1 brakes and solid rear subframe mounts is a combo that can't be beat for a combo DD/track car. And with the 2SS you get to use the ventilated/heated seats installed in all SS 1LEs lol
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote