Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEERzed View Post
Thanks for your honest response. It is appreciated.

Unfortunately, it means Ecutek is still not for me. I understand the concept of locking out competitors, but really good businesses don't need to do this.

I don't care what software a tuner uses. People who buy a car and own their ecu should have the freedom to choose the best tuner available at the time (without paying a new license fee to Ecutek every time they want to try an Ecutek tuner).

If this is a technical limitation and not a deliberate restraint on customer's choices, then Ecutek need to fix it.

Either way, thanks but it's not for me.
Your not understanding what Im saying.

EcuTek's license lives on the ECU.

If the ecu gets erased, flash fails, or ecu gets replaced then the license is gone.

If you lose a license the EcuTek log file will show that, if the dealer replaces the ecu then you'll have a work order for proof.

In those cases licenses will be replaced.

If your car is flashed with EcuTek any EcuTek dealer with that software suit aka ProECU BRZ/FRS/GT86 can tune the car.

Since EcuTek has years of custom code development work in the ECU they lock it prevent a few different things.

1. Preventing Dealers from Flashing over the ecu
2. Preventing non-EcuTek products from reading out the ecu and potentially stealing their custom code
3. Preventing non-EcuTek products reading out the ecu and exposing tuners hard work.

This is why I suggest everyone to own their own ecutek cable - this gives them the freedom to do what they want.

EcuTek isn't the only company that does this, and to be honest I wouldn't have put 1/16 of the amount of time into my calibrations if i knew someone could suck it out and look at it.

John
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote