Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #45
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Wow I won't argue with you but you're basically saying the twin screw alternative is not even road worthy. Guess I'll hold off on FI for a while longer. Hope you keep your car and keep us posted with long term stuff.

I am a bit surprised you consider the stock suspension perfect, I find the front spring rates a tad too low, it translates into a slight uneasiness taking turns thru hills not a big deal but its there. Have you taken a trip thru rural southern Illinois yet?

Thanks again.
The twin screw Innovate is road worthy if you are running 92-93 or E85.
On 91, the tuning has to be so aggressively de-tuned to run smoothly and at that point you are talking about 180HP to the wheels if you do a couple of hard runs on the street. It heat soaks fast and timing gets pulled.

92-93 is much better but still same issue, after a few hard runs performance does not stay consistent in the heat. E85 is much better and the best option, but has the trade offs of wrecking MPG.

On the track, forget it. You are basically forced into E85 for for cooling efficiency. Then you need to consider aggressive oil and water cooling solutions like what Robi runs, and then meth injection.

Innovate cannot nor can the support shops answer why the kit was not sold with intercooler. It's a secret and there is some contractual BS along with it. What it is a monster red flag.

I have talked to 3 different shops and tuners now. They all agree, this kit needs an intercooler. You can **** around with meth, E85, etc to mask it but at the end of the day out of the box not very versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsChrisKim View Post
After looking at your fluids analyses, you're feeling good about running this setup for a long time or are you a little uneasy about the longevity? I know there's been a lot of speculation about how well this transmission will hold up under the added torque of FI. What are your thoughts?
Motor at this level I am confident now. It's strong as long as you keep it conservative. Clutch is good, and most everything else.

The trans maybe the weak link, we just don't know yet. I will continue to send another sample after 10k miles to follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post

typically i'd never recommend a centrifugal s/c for any application, i view them as an unnecessary compromise, but in this case it's a no-brainer. if you absolutely must go s/c the vortech is the way to go. the innovate kit just doesn't offer much in terms of power out of the box or breathing room, and it seems rushed to market, missing key pieces that need to be there (ic and iat).

if you drive an innovate car, there's a real good chance someone with an n/a tune on e85 could outrun you in a straight line. you won't have that in a vortech car. isn't that the whole point of fi?

190-220whp doesn't make for a very fast 86.
The Vortech kit works with little fuss. Will it be the best kit forever, not likely we just don't know. There are trade offs, frequent oil changes, parasitic loss etc. But it's the most proven kit thus far.

The Innovate on 91 has and will be slower than a well tuned NA car. We have already seen it. Maybe not on the first run, but on the 2nd and 3rd etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
I don't mean to thread jack (this is an EXCELLENT insight into SCing and is greatly appreciated btw) but has anyone made such an in-depth review on a particular turbo setup?
Have not seen it yet, there are 3 kits solid kits out there with solid results and potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I agree except the last sentence , Dezoris's setup is 220hp. To me this is plenty for the street, a bit faster than a stock S2k.

I also have always considered a centr. supercharger a compromise as OEM's never use them, but sounds like vortech has the old issues ironed out.
You will always have this battle of people who always want more power. At 220-240 you are at the sweet spot. You don't have to worry about fuel system upgrades, clutch and drive train issues.

After 250 on all FI you need pump, injectors and possible clutch upgrades to be safe. The people who always cry about wanting more power clearly never spent too much time in the garage fixing things.

Power is nothing without reliability unless you like fixing things and have unlimited budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gppfrs View Post
This is so true I have been a 4g63 owner for years if you have 93-94 octane in your area ( North east and Canada ) then you can crank up the boost no problemo.

BTW :
I was on the fence with what power added I was going to go with but, thanks to your corny videos i'm going with the same supercharger setup you have.
Cool as long as you approach it from a realistic standpoint you won't have too many surprises.

Good luck