View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 01:02 AM   #18
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You’ll have no problem living with Maxxis RC-1s on the street in warmer weather, and they’re an absolute blast because of the grip they offer. You won’t heat cycle them out on the street so they’ll last a long, long time, and unlike many semi-slicks they do just fine running below their ideal operating temperature. They’re friendly to drive on when cool and break away progressively when pushed, so they won’t bite you - and they’re very quiet compared to most R-Comps. You can definitely get a faster track day tire, but the RC-1 has its place in the market and it will seriously transform your car when driven on the street - so much so, you’ll probably never want to go back to regular tire.

They do have their limitations:
  • It’s a dry weather tire (duh...), but it does just fine in damp conditions as long as there’s no standing water. If you get caught in the rain, slow down (again, duh...) and tiptoe home or to where you can park the car until the storm blows over. Driving on damp pavement without standing water is really not that big a deal at all.
  • You will need coilovers or significantly firmer springs and dampers to run them. I’m on MCS 1WNR single adjustable coilovers with 8K Swifts all around, and I think they’re about perfect for me.
  • You can’t drive on the tire below about 45° and grip falls off steeply below about 55°, so it’s a late spring, summer, and early fall tire - no biggie, it just is what it is. If you do push the car on the street in cooler weather it can be a lot of fun, but only because the grip is reduced and the car will finally break free powering through corners again.
Alright, I get it - they’re not for everyone, but I say go for it. I’ve got two seasons on mine, and I’ve never regretted my decision to run them on the street. Our cars are really fun on low grip tires where they can move around through the corners, and they’re also a totally different kind of fun when pulling close to 1.5g’s. You really need to experience both extremes to fully appreciate just how great these little cars can be. Just saying...

Last edited by RJasonKlein; 02-23-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Corrected a typographical error.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote