View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #2194
Infamous Performance

Drives: 02 WRX, 05 LGT, 08 LGT, 08 SpecB
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeez View Post
What is the purpose of the catch can ? Isn't to check your oil...? How can a catch can vent those gasses to the atm?

No. Dirty crank case gasses pass through it and oil collects in the bottom of it, oil that would otherwise be digested by the engine combustion.

Anyways, someone told me manifold meant the header. Correct? Yes, but it also refers to the intake. There are two manifolds, the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold.

If that's the case what happens inside the engine is that when it releases those gasses it still all goes down the pipe which goes through the cat?

Piston rings do not seal 100% and as a result, pressurized gasses from the combustion process will leak out into the crankcase area of the engine, this is known as "blow by". This is just a fact of our modern internal combustion engine. Pressurizing the crankcase is, of course, not desirable. It can lead to blown out crank seals, oil leaks, etc. So the crankcase gasses have to be vented through the PCV system, which recycles the air back into the intake stream. The vented gasses contain oil vapor, water vapor and other nasty stuff that, if not dealt with, can coat the intake tract of the engine with oil and sludge.

You don't have to answer all my questions... I am researching, but it will be grateful if you do...
Hope this helps some. Info provided to me by a manufacturer (I am just regurgitating it).
Infamous Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infamous Performance For This Useful Post:
lucid215 (11-25-2014)