View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfdogelite View Post
I guess I should have been more clear about that. I meant that I will buy 4 of the JL 3.5" speakers, two for the dash and two for the rear, and wire only those in parallel with each other, one channel for the each of the L/R sides. The component with their crossover will receive a dedicated channel from the amp for each side. The JL's will be identical, so I figure putting them in parallel with an amp rated to push 50 watts rms on a 2 ohm load should help fill out the mids that the Alpine Type R's will be missing with their crossover designed to separate the lows and highs. If the wiring is still confusing I made a horrible wiring diagram pic in paint to help explain and for my own reference.

So I looked into the sensitivity issue, I definitely get where you're coming from, I might look into replacing those with some with a sensitivity a little closer to that of the Alpine's. That being said, they are more for fill and sound staging, to make it not feel as though all the sound is coming from the door and dash than to actually help with overall volume. They will also be receiving another 10w of power over the Alpine's because of the ohm load created by having them in parallel. Also will be on a separate channel so I can turn them up or down in relation to the Alpine's if their is a an issue.

About the crossover db/oct difference. I don't think it should be too much of an issue, that should just mean the tweeter has a more aggressive fade out of the low frequencies it can't play and the woofer has a less aggressive fade out of the higher frequencies it can't play, right?
now I have a clearer understanding, however wiring the JLs such yields 25 w to each and the Alpines will have 40w to themselves. It's my thought that the JLs will not make an audible difference in this configuration, however I could be mistaken.

As a side note, you could attempt something like I have done and get a 3way cross over and run them all off it in the front channel. I have a pair of audiopipe crx-303, the woofers and tweeters from the R could be wired with the JL as the mid on the crossover, however I think that will lead to the JL being 180* out of phase.. not the worst problem in the world, but it will quiet the JLs output some.

edit: the phase shift could be accounted for by adding a cap to the JL somewhere below the crossover cutoff, so it has the same phase as the rest.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote