View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 10:46 AM   #10
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
It seems that in regard to oil cooler sizing , Setrab recommends a specific cooler size for a given hp. Do our engines run hotter than other configurations? The Jackson Racing (oil to air) system uses a Setrab 915 cooler, which is about the same area as my Series 134 and from their ad would, would provide similar cooling characteristics.

Maybe like @Ultramaroon, I need to go bigger.
I hate the HP recommendations because it's such a blanket statement, it's slightly triggering really.

It only comes down to btu/hr, that's how anything should be decided.

The issue with a 134, IMO is the minimal width of each row, that is simply going to reduce the cooing effect.

Even if you look at the 134, it's a 34 Row Cooler but listed at 21-27kBtu

A 915, even though "rated" the same HP Wise is rated at 27-37kBtu

You can even see it in the pressure drop across each core. Lower pressure drop is less effective fin area for the oil to travel and transfer heat.

RE: The HP Rating - IDK how you can market the 50-172 core as 600+ HP when effective BTU/hr is 40-60k

A comparative Series 9 that is 400-475 HP is 42k to 60k Btu/hr

Anyways, I ended up going with a 50-920 Core similar to Harrop's design. No thermostatic oil adapter so I constantly flow through the core regardless of temp. Depending on that adapter you can see a large oil pressure drop.

Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (03-25-2024)