Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): CL
Caliper (F/R): Stock
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): Stock
Compound (F/R): RC6
Tires: BF Goodrich Rival 225/45/17

I spent 2 days on the track in the dry with the BF Goodrich Rivals, and 1 day on the track in the rain with the stock Michelin Primacy HC tires. I used the brakes very heavily in several braking zones around the track. There was no discernible fading during the weekend.

The bite is very high, requiring relatively little pedal pressure to achieve very heavy braking force. I could easily have used R-compound tires for this, as it was fairly easy to engage the anti-lock system. I preferred not to engage the anti-lock if possible however, as it would cycle slowly causing quite a disruption to the car in the braking zone. The brakes worked equally well in the wet, and were easier to modulate in these conditions, probably due to less brake force being used.

Pad wear seemed to be quite good. It appears that I have about half of the pad left. I may use these on the street, and buy another set for the track next time. When pads are near the wear limit, they heat the calipers and fluid a bit more due to the rotor being closer to these parts. Look at the photo and it is clear that the pads have been USED. There is some buildup on the pads, which suggests that even though these pads bit well all weekend, they may further benefit from slotted rotors. These pads would easily have lasted for another dry day (or even two) on the track.

Attachment 40688

Attachment 40689

Rotor wear seemed to be almost nonexistent for two dry and one wet track day. It seems the pads wore and not the rotors. See photos:

Attachment 40690

Attachment 40691

The dust seemed very easy to clean off. Much better than I have seen before. I used new Enkei RPF1 wheels and waxed them before the track. There were only a few very small black dots that are still there after using Griot's Garage Spray On Car Wash. I think these would be removable with some solvent (like denatured alcohol). See pictures of the wheels in this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39086

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 8
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 9
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 9
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 7
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 3 street, 8 track
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): (estimate 7/actual ???)
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? No, mostly
Brake ducts: No

i know its old but those pads are toasted, why would they look like that?
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote