View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Glad it worked.
It's pretty clear we are in an age where designers and engineers are obsessed with having ecu control over everything, windows, doors, switches etc.

Steer by wire and brake by wire are next. The older Miatas are definitely as most manual as you can get of any moder sporty car. Direct feeback is something missing now, and almost off when you feel it again. Miata Manual steering racks, no ABS even in the older ones makes from some very fun driving assuming you are not stuck in traffic with goats.
I was happy to hear the new Alfa Romeo C4 has manual steering But agreed, I think we are in too much of a rush to make everything electric and computerized when it comes to true sports cars. As good as the electronic steering is in say an FR-S, I think it could have been better had they used hydraulic.

The Miata R model was as basic as you could get. Manual steering, no ABS/nannies, no stock AC unit, manual windows, etc. And with such a low powered engine it is hard to make too big a mistake and not be able to recover vs something like an S2K where, as you noted, you need to have your wits about you.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote