View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
^^ The inside tire is breaking traction in really tight corners because it's an LSD and putting power through it makes both wheels want to spin the same speed. At low speeds and really tight radii the speed difference is enough and the gearing is short enough to cause a bit of scratching at the pavement. At higher speeds and larger radii the forces aren't the same and the speed difference between the wheels isn't as big.

I'm not talking about breaking traction, I'm talking about the inside tire being visibly off the ground because the rear bar is too stiff and the springs aren't stiff enough. Just throwing on stiff sway bars without stiff enough springs does funky things to the handling.

Remember that the way a sway bar works is to couple the sides together, so if the outside spring is compressing the bar is making the inside spring compress too, which takes weight off the inside tire.

Big rear bars can work on FWD cars that need help rotating, but they put power down through the front wheels so it doesn't matter if a rear wheel is in the air.

Putting a bigger rear bar on a RWD car will do nothing but hurt traction when exiting a corner, and since these cars don't need help rotating into a corner it's not helping anywhere.

FWD car, but it paints a picture. Big stiff sway bars, not enough spring rate (I know the owner of the car, and he used this same picture on another forum to prove what I'm saying). Look at the body roll he's getting. If this were a RWD car, how much power do you think that inside tire would put to the pavement?