Old 12-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
This is what I think:

I would like to see a BMW/Toyota joint effort with an inline-6 engine. One affordable model (30-40k USD) with a naturally aspirated I6 engine and one turbo I6 model (40-50k USD). Affordability is key though. There's no point in making another car for the ultra-rich like the Nissan GTR and Porsche 911's, as 98% of the population cannot afford it so it'd be nothing but a tease.

The engine and aerodynamics should be tuned by the TMG team that designed the F1 and Le Mans cars for more performance and prestige. The engine note should be tuned by Yamaha like the LFA for F1-esque sounds. Make it look very similar to the last Mk4 Supra (curvy, aerodynamic, sporty). Transmission options should include a manual and dual clutch. The chassis should just be steel but with aluminum hood, roof, trunk, and aluminum or plastic front fenders. Use aluminum in areas of unsprung weight such as suspension arms/links, knuckles, and dampers. Use Brembo aluminum fixed calipers with two-piece discs and forged BBS wheels (Washi Beam Japan). Use double wishbone and/or multi-link based front and rear suspension (instead of MacPherson strut).

Also, do not make it too wide or too long (around 1800mm wide and 2600mm wheelbase). Big cars tend to spoil the fun on the road and add weight. But having 2 small folding seats in the rear would help justify practicality for many. 225/45/18 is a good tire size to base it on and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are recommended. Same size tires front and rear would be nice for easier rotations, affordability, and playfulness (at least for the non-turbo model). Make sure the steering wheel has enough feedback and the handling is very predictable with a smooth and responsive power band without electronic traction and stability controls interfering too much. A limited slip differential should be standard. Also, make electronic systems programmable/customizable by driver in head unit. The Lexus LFA based digital display gauge would be an attractive choice.

The car should essentially be a bigger brother to the GT86 and more of a competitor to the Nissan 370Z (for the non-turbo) and the base Cayman & Corvette (for the turbo model). If you get the styling, engine sounds, and performance/fun factor right at a low enough price, it could be a legendary and very successful car.

It is a good compromise. But there are some points I still disagree with (personal preference) and then there is the realistic execution of the product. I don't see BMW or Toyota building a one-off I6 engine. BMW has it already, and I don't want a BMW engine in a Toyota. Then, I don't think it is possible to have a NA and FI version of one engine without increased costs or compromises.

Then, I also don't like +2 seats, they are not very practical for carring people. Don't be offended, but my way of thinking is that 2 doors = 2 seats, 4 doors = 4 seats. I think the Lexus RC/BMW 2er/4er/Audi A5...etc is a good compromise for having both something sporty yet practical, but those cars will never be pure sportscars in my eyes. I alos don't get why Porsche insists on those rear seats in the 911, they better put the engine instead (a.k.a underpowered Cayman).

I'm more for one good product than one with more choices that is compromised. Sure I'd love a new H/R Turbo I6 with 6MT, just as the previous Supra, but it just won't happen.

Till now I don't know any Turbo engine that sound and revs like a Ferrari V8 or a Lexus V10 (or for instance any of the previous NA BMW M engines). So I'd be more for a Yamah (part of Toyota who makes performance engines) tuned NA V6, (like LFA with ITB', dry sump, 9000K redline) help by hybrid instead of turbo (like the 918 Spyder). Sure costs will increase. Maybe not a problem, but if the car is not profitable, we'll as you say have another LFA or car for rich people.

Quite an issue IMO, 50K sportscars are compromised, 200K are just not my thing, even if I could afford them (all mid-engine and way too powerfull and even heavy). There is nothing around 90K that is good, Cayman is underpowered for its price, and 911 is also not really my thing, I want the engine in-front. Thus so happy for the GT86/BRZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:
Zaku (03-03-2014)