Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Where did you get that number?
Theres a bunch of youtube videos of people doing a db test and showing the Abarth showing a range of between 98-110 db depending on the video and equipment used.

Donut Media also did a video on the exhaust law and test one of their employees stock Fiat Abarth and they got around the number i mentioned. So yes while these arent official numbers, Donut Media did follow the exact procedure when doing the test (compared to someone standing behind with an iphone) and so i'm inclined to think they were pretty accurate on their findings.

Thats the video with a timestamp where they test the stock Abarth. Actual number they got was 100db and some change so i was off by two, but fact of the matter is thats still illegal.

The thing is, there isnt a universal sound compliance level. Not really. While most cars stay around the 90db range, a lot of manufactures dont make their cars to apply to this standard because it changes per state and per country. As i stated above, Oregon has a DB limit of 88. And since CA has a noise limit of 95db...who do car manufactures listen to? Thats usually why a lot of these laws come with modifiers. For example, one of the modifiers say that your car MUST have a working muffler. Which again the stock Abarth actually fails because it literally comes from the factory with a muffler delete. And now you begin to see the issue. Because a fully stock Fiat Abarth which can legally be sold in California by Fiat dealers, is immediately not compliant with noise AND exhaust laws in California on the showroom floor.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-26-2019), mgarcia707 (05-24-2019)