Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #47
Honesty
Heavy Metal Pool Party

Drives: 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
That's weird. I've driven numerous examples of both, and the STI understeers a lot, in comparison. That's not to take away from it, it's a great car, but like I said you're not going to see it in any Best Handling Car competitions.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but what in your opinion would constitute a car being "so much faster" or not? I don't want to play the numbers game but the performance specs and lap times of the two cars are likely going to be very different... even though the satisfaction from behind the wheel will be above average for either car.
I'll definitely give you understeer in the STi, moreso than the Evo. The engine is mounted further forward in the STi, being longitudinal, so it's got that extra front overhang that causes pretty unappealing turn-in understeer.

But to me it felt a little more solid, a little less cheap, and you could feel the bigger engine at play there. I think for a race car, I'd take the Evo, but for a DD or racy street car, I'd have to go STi. Stuff like exhaust note and power curve and interior quality push me toward the STi, even knowing the Evo will outperform it when the mods start rolling in. The Evo's power was pretty far up top and the turbo lagged a little bit more than I'd want. Granted they both have some lag, and they have great power/torque, the Evo's was always a little harder to reach.

Stock vs stock these cars are basically identical in terms of end-of-the-day track figures imo. At least they're as close as it gets, depending on which has the better tires that day (Evo comes with some pretty nutso summer treads).
Honesty is offline   Reply With Quote