View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Basti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM wiring for heated seats

So I bought my BRZ w/o heated seats. The deal on them in my country is just not what I have in mind, simple as that.
Now I bought me those nice, cheap mats for installation right into the seats.
This is no biggie as I've done it 5 times over already in different cars.
The whole process of installing the mats takes some time if you want to do it right but it's not really hard if you've got good hands and some practice.

What I really hate (in general) is the electrical wiring. If possible, I want to rely on stock conections as much as possible.
Here are a few facts I'm starting off with:

1.the under-dash fuse box has two fuses ready for L/R heated seats
2.all cars from Japan are delivered w/o heated seats, the upgrade is done "in port", as with the leather seats
3.I'm having trouble removing the fuse box from its retention lock

All of which leads me to the following assumptions:

-At least the fuse box must be pre-wired to facilitate installation of heated seats
-For ease of installation, a huge chunk of wiring must already be in the car.
Why make two wiring harness versions?! They surely can't expect distribution center personnel to tear apart the whole interior

I'm a person who likes "clean" installs to a degree. What I want is to tap right into some pre-existing heated seats wiring plug, put in two fuses and be done with it.

Now what I need from the community is someone to help me figure out where exactly I might find a good tapping point.
Considering making a DIY about this.

Problem is, I can't remove the seats to check those connectors atm because delivery of the E10 nut is taking its damn time.

Ideas, anyone?
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote