Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterfoster View Post
Vehicle Mileage:About 103,000 km
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: About 98,000 km
Symptom(s): Heavy knocking sound from the engine while driving suddenly occurred out of seemingly no where. Within the span of few hundred meters of driving car after sound developed engine died.
Failure: Internal engine component (likely bearing rod based on what tech told me). Engine was not fully disassembled as they were going to charge me for this as they believed issue is unrelated to recall
State:Ontario, Canada (Toronto)
Is Dealership Offering Repair:No. Took it to closest dealership when engine died (Georgetown Toyota), who advised they would NOT work on the car because based on the symptoms and the vehicle history they believed the work was related to the valve spring recall (they said this without having to open up the engine, big red flag). Took it to the dealership who did the work (Yorkdale Toyota). They opened up the side of the engine, advised valve springs were intact and issue was unrelated to the recall. I did research and found this forum and the other articles. I showed Yorkdale Toyota's Service Manager the articles. He advised this was the first he had heard of these issues but would call Corporate to discuss this issue. Next day the service Manager advised me that Corporate said there is no issue with the recall work and they (Corporate) would not take responsibility for any damages. He advised Yorkdale would not take any responsibility because they performed the work as directed per Toyota's instructions. I phoned Toyota's customer service line. They told me that Yorkdale's notes say the issue is unrelated to the recall. Essentially both parties (the dealership and Toyota itself) are saying the other one is saying its not their fault and no one is willing to accept any responsibility.

Beyond frustrated at this point. Yorkdale is telling me it is cheaper to replace the engine with a used one rather than trying to disassemble mine and fix it. They want to charge me $7000 for used engine with 100k mileage. Anyone had any luck pursuing legal action?
Easiest way to see if dealership blew your engine, is dropping your oil pan and looking at oil pick up screen. If it is clogged with sealant, then you can prove dealer is at fault.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-27-2019), HlfpriceWngs (05-31-2019)