View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
FINALLY received my warranty replacement Whiteline Com-C top mounts. My originals were removed after one day of rattle & pop filled driving due to bad bearings and/or suspension geometry. I took some comparison photos of the new vs old top mounts to show what's different in this run that will hopefully solve the issues with deforming rubber around the bearings when turning, and some folks had clunking noises too

Bottom side comparison, you can clearly see a different bearing insert in the middle, not much else different

New top side includes some dust covers.

Without the dust covers on top. Note the different inner bearings on top

This is where I'm still concerned about these. In my experience with the original Com-C's, over every slight bump or deviation, I could hear the upper spring perches colliding with the collar around the bottom of the top mounts, circled below in blue. I presumed this was due to bad geometry due to the lack of a conical washer on the upper spring perch on the BRZ; we have a welded flat washer, unlike the WRX which uses a separate conical washer to ensure proper mating with the inner bearing at the increased negative camber angles. When I removed the original Com-C's to swap back to stock, my upper spring perches had marks all over them from colliding with the collar on the bottom of the Com-C's. They were installed exactly as instructed and spun freely around the strut before installing back into the car.

The new top mounts have the exact same collar depth, which has me concerned about them. I will be emailing my concerns and findings to Jan at Whiteline-US and try to get more info about what has changed in this new batch to prevent contact between the bottom collar of the Com-C's and the upper spring perch.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 03-12-2013 at 11:55 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (03-22-2013), Calum (03-14-2013), enjoyminutemaid (03-14-2013)