Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
First and foremost, THANK YOU for not asking about a capacitor. They have their place, even in a car audio power system, but stopping lights from dimming is NOT it.

Now to the question at hand.

What are you running for amps? I'm assuming you want to add a second battery to help prevent the lights from dimming as the bass hits. Before you add another battery try using a good battery and the wiring I've described below. I recommend Odyssey and there are a few re-brands that can be found for decent prices. If you're still having problems with the lights dimming it might be time for a second battery but that would be a rare occurrence and typically only happens when you're no longer a noob. ie, you're much farther into the hobby and using some SERIOUS power.

I run positive and negative to the amps, from the battery. AND positive and negative from the alternator to the battery. Done. No ridiculous big 3 bull shit that adds complexity, adds connections and uses a fender or whatever as a part of the ground system.

The explanation, before you get your flame thrower.

Odyssey's arranged glass mat technology is also used by Optima, but in a different arrangement that diminishes it's abilities. Odyssey's have the highest short circuit current and lowest internal resistance of any battery I know of. Certainly any in a reasonable price range.

Batteries and alternators act as a single unit when the car is running, in much the same way a compressor and reservoir tank work together. If you remove the battery from the system the car will still run, but there will be voltage spikes and drops of over 30% outside the normal 14.4v. Before you flame me, go try it. I've tested it personally.

Next, the body is held together with spot welds and adhesive. Grounding anything, using as much current as an automotive amp, to the trunk will cause voltage drops. Yes you can take a meter and find exactly 0 ohms between the trunk floor and the negative battery terminal. You can also find 0 ohms on 30 feet of phone cable. I will never use either to ground something using that much current. And before anyone decides to mention it, superposition theory is based on the system having zero voltage drops from one position to the other.
Actually there will be voltage drops , I work as an avionics tech , electrons is what I do all day errday !
A continuity test only proves point a and b work and that there is no short if you go to ground ... We ground 12v dc on airframes . Cars aren't a big deal .. So the fact that you are gonna run a negative from the battery is really dumb, no offense, unless you got monster Earthquake amps pushing well over 200Amps, I pushed my car to 150 amps with stock battery and that's when my lights starting dimming

I-Tapatalk
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote