View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #39
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Interesting.. But what would make it chirp only at certain times.. The fact that the mechanical sound changed is what's causing all the alarm. If it chirped from the start, it would just be a noisy pump.
I don't see it as an issue at this point. It works fine and the sound is not unusual for a HPFP. My friends Kia has DI and it chirps.. Even thru the hood blanket, which we don't have.. Another reason it seems louder than most.
The noise shift is contiguous in sound for some period of time.. Then reverts back to normal.. Maybe influenced by heat soak.. Each occurrence of my chirps happened after stopping the car for half hour or so and then using it again..
Just my observations so far.. Keep us updated on your findings...
What presumably would cause the chirping is the "washer" creating harmonics as it oscillates on the pump shaft due to the low lubrication provided by ethanol enhanced fuel. ToyBaru should be able to engineer a different design to alleviate this. And again, if this were "normal" as some morons have suggested, then the chirping would have occurred at the time of purchase; not after running several tanks of American grade gas though it.
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote