View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #131
Cuchullain

Drives: 2013 GBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thumbs up

So I have had the new slave installed for about 5 days now, and have done a mix of driving in some stop and go traffic, street driving, and highway driving. Currently I am running without the pedal helper spring, the pedal adjusted to even with the brake pedal, and a bumper behind the pedal to limit throw. I also have the TRD short shifter installed, but that really shouldn't have any effect on the feel of the pedal, just shifting overall.

My impression is that the smaller slave cylinder has certainly helped with pedal feel, and the travel feels much more uniform and linear. The engagement point is definitely more apparent than on the stock car, or than with the helper spring removed. The pedal is stiffer, but not extremely so. I haven't really adjusted my shifting at all, but the car does shift smoother (or I'm imagining it). However, I am not quite as staggered as other people have been. Maybe it's the fact that I do not have the helper spring, or that I have unrealistic expectations, but it's still not quite what I expect a clutch to feel like. I can certainly feel the engagement point better, but not quite as much as I would've liked. This could be because I'm shit at shifting and wore my clutch out (I don't think so, you might), wear thick combat boots while driving (more of a running shoe guy), or am never happy (quite likely).

This is not to say I think it wasn't worthwhile, it definitely is if you are looking for better feel. I even like how stiff the pedal is, and I don't even feel like it is bothersome in heavy traffic. The prices for the parts direct from Subaru are cheap enough, and the work to install it easy and quick enough that I think everyone who thinks they have a problem shifting should try it. Easy enough to switch back if you go FI, don't like it, or whatever. Also, in my case, it was just something enough to scratch the mod itch for a short while without bankrupting me

TL;DR - give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
When I started this, both my brake and clutch reservoirs were the same slightly golden color. There was a tiny bit of shmutz on the bottom that I stirred up when I first poured to top off. It was nothing like the black I see now after a couple months.

Still, the fluid color and small black particles are no worse than any slave cylinder I've serviced/owned. It's just not squeaky clean new like my original brake fluid still appears even after 10 Kmi.

I attributed the change in color to the brand of fluid I used. Was yours factory? What does it look like in comparison to your brake reservoir?

I keep forgetting to pop my hood and look when I'm getting in and out of my car. My fluid isn't really a different color than normal brake fluid, just had some black... dust? for lack of a better word. I'm not really too concerned right now, because even when actuating the clutch, it didn't really get stirred up. I only noticed it when I poured the new fluid in to top it off. I figure if it's settled in the reservoir, I'm probably OK for now. I will try to get a look at my brake fluid to compare them though.
Cuchullain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuchullain For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-25-2015)