View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 04:11 AM   #9
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I must say... while the BRZ's clutch is light and almost effortless, it is rather difficult to control at first until you get used to it which lead to my opinion that it is not all that great as a first manual car. This is because there is almost no feedback from the clutch pedal. Plus there is a rather ambiguous yet very fine point between engagement and stalling, like the car would only begin to slightly creep forward in a way that makes you think you can let off the clutch justtttt a bit more... then suddenly, stalled. I also know that lack of feedback is due to some spring above the clutch pedal and you can mod (remove) it out but it is ridiculous as-is for a car that is supposed to be all about the "feel" and pleasure of driving.

I've driven quite a few manuals and for almost ten years now and I stalled quite frequently initially when I first bought the car. I haven't stalled this frequently in a car since I first learned how to drive stick. Everything is all good now but once a blue moon, I'll surprisingly stall. I am still figuring out the trick on how to smoothly shift into second.

Anyway, like others above are saying, learn no-gas clutch work. Build the muscle memory. Find a long flat road with little to no traffic and just get the car moving from letting off the clutch, stop, repeat. Do the same on an inclined driveway somewhere to practice hill starts.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote