View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #69
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Since I just purchased an 18 BRZ, my wife asked me why I didn't go for the Cayman. We can afford it, so that isn't the issue. I told her that the BRZ was just more fun. You feel the road more. It handles like you're riding on rails. It just makes you feel alive. I owned Porsches for 27 years with up to 600 hp, and stepping on the gas and pushing your heads hard against the headrest was a blast. But other than putting people in the car at night, and giving them the "experience", as a daily driver, it was just not fun. I worried about it in the parking lots. I worried about it being stolen. Even small dents cost a fortune to repair. Finding really good Porsche mechanics was not easy. And if you have something even semi-major, it cost a fortune to repair. I replaced a steering rack and it cost me close to $7k. A tune-up with a good mechanic was at least $800 NOT including the oil change which ran about $400.

The first sports car I bought new was a 1969 Triumph TR-6 with 102hp. The BRZ reminds me of the fun I had with that car. Will I miss the 600hp? On very rare occasions, yes. But when I drive this car every day, it will be hard to wipe the smile off of my face.
My wife said too that I should get the Cayman instead. I felt like the Cayman was great but not worth 1.5-2x the price. Sure could have got a 6 year old Cayman for something like tS but I prefer a new car and to me the BRZ is just a bit more playful not as serious.

I did go against my initial instinct. What I mean that I thought the BRZ was an inexpensive car and that the tS kind of was the wrong way to do a BRZ (meaning more cost kind of defeats the cheap car aspect) but then the tS (IMO) looks so nice and feels special. I'm sure the PP (brakes) and you add the tires for $800 and you are 95% to the tS. but the intangibles (meaning looks just was enough for me to spend $$ over the Limited with PP). However if I was tight on a budget then I would certainly get the Limited with PP without thinking twice.
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rai-zero For This Useful Post:
kb3dow (04-17-2018), why? (04-17-2018)