View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 03:11 AM   #43
BRZSS

Drives: Hyper Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
You want to know why you don't find negative car reviews anywhere?
Because media outlets would be out of business, when ad revenue is pulled, press cars refused and media access denied.
It's nothing new but rarely talked about, they give you free trips, free stuff, exclusive access and you give them press and you say THANK YOU. But NEVER give negative press. NEVER

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...z-series-blue/ "Quit Bullshiting us and put a turbo in the BRZ."

http://jalopnik.com/5927710/does-the...s-need-a-turbo "Does the BRZ/FRS need more power?"

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/how-s...t-bases-loaded "How the Subaru BRZ strikes out even with the bases loaded"

Yeah so no negative press or reviews eh?
I understand where your coming from in some regards, but the point is simply this. The companies want to sell a product and that's all. Yes, that is true. But if you sell an inferior product. Word of mouth, consumer pushback, negative talk in forums. These things will hurt sales. If a product isn't liked, it won't be bought. I don't see many Vortec kits being run. Just looking at posts I would come to the conclusion that JR, Edelbrock, and Kraftworks are much more popular S/C kits. When you buy literally the first version of something, you don't get to read consumer reviews and judge a products quality. Your taking a gamble and betting on a brand name only.

Quote:
2. The younger guys who work for stuff. I am sorry if I offended you, and if you are working your ass off for it I am sure many your age would like to know your secrets.

How you get enough money in high school and college to pay your own rent, your own car, your own tuition and have money in the bank? Are you so special that you did not get help from family? It's absolutely rare these days that anyone 16-21 can live on their own, have baller cars, mods, things and have college paid for without help, by either being subsidized by loans, credit cards or family. Not sure where all the butt hurt is coming from.

Your assuming based on my comment that I'm in my early 20's.
I'm actually hitting 30. But when I was 19 I did buy a brand new car from a dealer lot. A Cobalt SS S/C to be exact. A 25k "Sports" car. Unlike the BRZ/FRS platform that was built specifically for it's intended purpose. The Cobalt was a base entry model car that had a coupe version. The GM Performance Division put a wing on it and a different engine with a supercharger and some Recaro seats. It was made a sports car as an after thought. And thats the way most cars were. The Civic's the Celica's the Corolla's, the Neon's, they all were built with one purpose and oh by the way over here we have the "sportier" version. So this platform is unique in that it was built specifically toward being a "drivers" car. And not some 4 door sedan with a 2 door offering and oh heres a sportier model as well. But I digress, you wanted to know the secret to being successful.

The secret is work hard.
Learn a skill that's in demand and one you excel at. I bought my house when I was 21. I had paid that cobalt off in 2 years. I didn't do reckless things so my insurance was steadily dropping in price. I made sound investment decisions and worked hard at my job to make money to support my likes. I didn't live in excess but most would think I do. When you live conservatively and with out much fluff, you can afford nice things in moderation. Which makes people think you live some kind of luxurious lifestyle because of it.

I've owned 8 cars in my life. 4 of which have been Camaro's but that's another story >_>

Quote:
3. TJ Hunt. Don't know him, seems smart. Doesn't matter, the video I made was because I saw a video where he had issues with shop install, Bill do his onsite tuning and still had AVCS issues. I made a video about the experience I had with my car and it reminded me of why it sucks modifying your own car, doing it all yourself and spending a ton of coin. It's as simple as that.

After the video I realized he was GIVEN the supercharger kit, and free services/subsidized services in exchange for social media exposure. FREE press for vendors. Did he ever explain his issues? Did he talk about the install or any problems? Nope. Wonder why that is? Interesting system we have.
He has a video showing them at the shop installing the kit. They don't go into excessive details but Edelbrock's kit is a one piece s/c manifold unit. The install looks to be straightforward and the install guide they showed in the video looked to be well detailed and put together. As for the solution to the issue it was briefly skimmed over in the next video when he goes to drive the car. The tech said they fired the car up, let it idle 30 seconds then drove it around the block and it went away. It's considered an issue with the first model year cars. They had it resolved within a day so it seems to be a true statement. Again, the issue you run into when you get a first year model.

Moding your own car doesn't suck.
But that's my opinion and it is subjective.
For car guys modding and working on a car is an experience. A learning one at that. The pride you get when you turn a wrench and accomplish something is for you and you alone. One of those 4 camaro's I mentioned is a 98 Z28. I removed the LS1 from it. Put a LQ4 motor in it's place. I built the lq4 from a bare block. Bored it 30 over and stroked it from a 360ci to a 408ci motor. Every bit of that motor was assembled by myself and I'm quite proud of that fact. And I had stumbling moments in doing it. But the end result is I made something for myself and its quite a beast.

You didn't enjoy working on your car. That's obvious. You had a shop work on a lot of it as well. I imagine thats pretty costly. I can see why your burned out. But blanket statements that "that's how you'll all fell" is condescending.

Quote:
4. Lessons. When we started, there were NOT many shops versed in setting up the 86 or dedicated to it, no one had been working on the car yet. We did our best to learn and share what we knew without trying to sell products and services. That is an expensive model. We wanted to show that despite what so many companies try to sell you on, not everything was glamorous. If you want the sales pitch, call up 30+ vendors on here and ask opinions, call the OEMs and manufactures and ask them straight questions about actual PROBLEMS they have, see what answers you get.
And that's the point I made earlier. You jumped into an unknown platform and took a risk. No one knew anything about this car. It was a brand new engine design, it was a brand new platform. You came in on the ground floor with everyone else had to stumble around till someone could find the power switch to turn the lights on. Until the lights could be shined on everything you were in the dark on things. You took this gamble. In the IT world it's stated you never buy a brand new piece of software. You let some other fool or "bleeding edge" junkie stumble into all the bugs first. Give the software time to mature as the manufacture finds the problems and fixes them.

As for manufactures just pushing products and getting answers on what problems lie in wait. It all goes back to, if you don't have good customer service you won't have good sales. Products that prove themselves and have companies that stand behind them shine out. Take SBD, the owner personally welcomes any person to join the Facebook group comprised of a thousand users. The majority who are running the kit he sales. And they all gladly help and answer any question you might have about it or its installation and use. The owner Chris, himself will contact you and help you with this kit. He'll even get ahold of you and talk with you when ordering so that your aware of the kits limits, its abilities, and whether it's right for you or not. Amazing detail and customer service in my opinion. Your experience with Vortec doesn't surprise me though. They're a large business and cater to hundred of vehicles. They have an established name and ride on that success. But if more users get the treatment you got, they'll start losing business. Its how the game works.

Quote:
5. People Hate Bad News - Most turn a blind eye to the bad and only want to hear the good. I get it, much easier. But I can say whether I am bitter, jaded or whatever you say, when you have been fuc*d over, seen people burned, hurt just to justify sales, it has changed my perspective on the value of "shiny objects."

I hope many of you never get to that place, but chances are you will get burned along the way and it will sober you enough to keep the wallet closed.
"That's how you'll feel."
Well I've been modding cars over 10 years now. Haven't yet been burned so that I've clam'd up the wallet yet. But I also make sound judgement calls on what I decide to mod and work on. I don't jump into platforms the first year.
I'm sorry you feel the way you do. But you didn't help your situation one bit by that choice alone. Was it nice you provided help and show'd people potholes to look out for? Sure. I won't lie. I watched your temp and pressure video and walked away with some new thoughts and lines of research to do.

No one is down talking any contributions you've made. But we are down talking the choice to get on the bandwagon before the ox were even hitched.

Life is a continuous lesson.
You live and learn.
Just don't take the lessons and interpret them wrongly.
IE blaming a car for choices you made.
BRZSS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZSS For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (03-23-2016)