View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #129
ninjasaurusrex

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post
Ok, so here's how I did it. I wanted the footwell lighting to come on when the doors were opened. I used the LED kit from Phasetek, but didn't like the LED dome light, and I wanted to be able to turn the dome light off and still have the floor lights come on. I also wanted to be able to turn them on whenever I wanted. And, I wanted to be able to disable the whole setup if I wanted. So, I went with a single throw double pole (STDP) switch. My set up works independently of the dome light and has three settings sort of like the dome light has: On when doors are opened (or doors are unlocked), on all the time, or completely off.

Here is the switch I used:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/sear...T%20ON-OFF-ON/

In fact, you probably could do this for a lot cheaper buying all the pieces yourself from there directly, but I had the Phasetek set up so I modified it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I highly recommend disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery before doing anything. Obligatory I am not responsible for anything you do note.

So, to get the footwell light to turn on when the doors open, I chose to tap the line going into the dome light:

The way the dome light works is the middle green wire is from the battery, the black wire is a permanent ground, and the pink wire is an alternate ground which is controlled by the ECU. The pink one is the one which is connected when the doors are opened.

So, I tapped the pink wire and ran a wire along the ceiling, down the passenger side pillar, and behind the glove box. I also put an inline fuse here. The pink line has no fuse, and if you short it, it will fry the connector at the ECU, then the dome lights will never go on with the doors open unless you get a new ECU. Another good reason to disconnect the battery before fiddling.

The STDP Switch is then used to switch from the pink line ground, to a permanent ground which is attached to the chassis anywhere. I chose this bolt which is under the panel directly below the drivers side knee pad because it was close to where I decided to put the switch.

The switch has three connectors, the middle one goes to the LED light assembly, and each side is the two different ground lines. NOte: MOst switches are STSP, that is just on-off. This one is STDP, that is it has on - off - on.

For power, I used a fuse tap which always draws power, even when there is no key in the ignition:

It's kind of hard to see, but its the second slot down from that side.

The LED light wiring from Phasetek has two connectors, one is power, the other is ground, and then they split out to each LED.

So the power is plugged in in that picture, and the middle wire from the switch plugs into the other tap in the picture.

Then, I installed the switch in the panel below the driver side knee pad.

And it looks awesome

ok so im kinda a noob at electronics and such...but have a basic concept..im just confused in where the tapped fuse ends up at