-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
What really bothered me was Kylo Ren.
imo Ren was a masterstroke. It would have been foolish to try and out-Vader Darth Vader, would have been a complete joke so you make your villain a shell of what once was and it's easy to be the top of the foodchain when you're the only player.

Personally I think Ben Solo just wasn't very good at being a jedi for whatever reason, searching for a father figure Luke couldn't devote time to him (he had to train a whole new order) leaving him out in the cold, his parents shipped him off, of course he's angsty. He has this legendary name to live up to and just doesn't. I've heard some different takes that 'he's rusty' or 'he's had no challenge to build against' but I'm leaning towards he just didn't get the special gene, we're two generations removed from the 'chosen one' after all.

Timelines don't match for Rey and Ben being twins at all imo, Kylo has been terrorizing the galaxy for at least 5 years (last time Han and Leia saw each other) and Luke has been missing for long enough that his legend has become a story rather than history and it's not like Kylo could have developed and killed dozens of in-training jedi before he hit puberty that would support Rey being ditched. Kylo has probably been tooling around the galaxy for a good 20 years at this point if I had to guess.

My only change would have been the face reveal, I wish it wasn't a closeup, if they showed his face in a wide angle would have been better. I heard some laughs and confusion when he showed his face, with the closeup it's implied you're supposed to get something meaningful out of this reveal when really it's just a man (almost a boy) hiding behind a mask. With a wide it would have de-emphasized his actual face and shown that he's not all that imposing in stark contrast to his imposing grandfather who he worships.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-22-2015), M-17 (12-28-2015)