View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #9
Dephective

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by u/Josh View Post
I have sort of a followup question to this one. Can the typical Ecutek, openflash tablet, etc tunes change when the car goes into open loop? What is the reason we don't always operate in closed loop mode?
Yes they can adjust "when" the car would switch over to open loop. You can set it to happen based on load, RPM, throttle position, etc. At least theoretically, as I have no experience with ECUtek's program, but I imagine it would.

Closed loops is like a circuit, and as long as you stay inside a set of parameters (throttle position, rpm, load, etc.), your ECU will try to reach lamda or 14.7:1 AFR based on what the O2 sensor reads. If these values parameters are exceeded, the ECU looks "outside the loop" to take into account other sensors to detect how much air is present, temperature of that air, knock, and also the O2 sensor as well as "look up maps" inside the ECU to know how much fuel to use to reach a set value AFR. This AFR will be richer than 14.7:1 because at WOT that will be far too lean. This targeted AFR is an absolute value, but your ECU may only be able to approximate that. Knock for example can cause your ECU to pull timing and throw more fuel into the mix to enrich the mixture as a failsafe against deadly detonation. Your tuner would be making adjustments to "open loop" settings to make the power and hopefully do it safely with the modifications present.

A full standalone like Hydra EMS with a proper wideband O2 setup can actually be ran in closed loop all the time. This takes a decent amount of tuning skill to make this safe and efficient though. I'm not sure if they have that set up on this platform, but yet again I don't see why not. Element Tuning I believe had it set up on their STi before they had their Twin.

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
Dephective is offline   Reply With Quote