Old 08-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #13944
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotM View Post
Is this to fly these FPV? I wish I would have been there the other night. I have some old FPV gear that I have wanted to install in a plane. I thought of putting it in my TREX500, but figured it would be better to start with planes.
I did the plane FPV awhile back, then got into helicopters, now doing Multi rotors......multi rotors are the most stable platform for most aerial photography, planes are the most thrilling speed-wise, helicopters are hands down the most fun for aerobatics......

FPV, depending upon frequency may require a technician grade or better HAM radio license.....I run 1.2 / 1.3 GHz equipment and have to have a HAM license.

Just flying in certain areas will require permission from either the property owner (private land), Government office (State / Federal land), or the event organizer and property owner at a sporting event (auto cross / NASCAR / Football, ect). The permission should, actually must, be in written form and signed by the official / property owner and you with the dates / time allowed for the flight.........

Flying while filming could require a FAA certification as a commercial aircraft if you publish the video / pictures. If the video / pictures are posted you lose control on how the posted items is used and can be considered commercial use if someone uses them for profit (say GoPro uses it in a commercial on TV).

Generally all of the above is not an issue for most FPV pilots (you do need the HAM license for the transmitters) as long as your flying at a AMA / RC flight park or your own backyard.........once you get into the flying I do it becomes a legal hassle.

One of my "birds" is currently being looked at for commercial use by a few very "large" entities, due to this I have high visibility to the governing regulators and have to watch my P's and Q's......so to speak.