strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmroczk View Post
Ok, this makes sense of everyone’s opinions a little better...

I had an early 2013, and Pedal Dance was required for that car otherwise any form of traction control would lead to a loss of power and/or understeer.

I’ll have to try again with the new 2018

Thanks everyone
TC off, (long press, two yellow lights, no pedal dance), in the '12-'16 cars has only three forms of aids happening to my knowledge. (There's only 4 modes that matter for the early cars, regular, 'vsc off' (green+yellow lights, this mode is barely an improvement on regular driving), long press off (yellow 2x lights, most aids off), pedal dance).

Multi-channel ABS
Not a bad thing at all, prevents locking up an unloaded wheel and allows for effective braking when the car is loaded in a turn, this is one of the awesome things of traction control advancements and is great if you can realize you've blown a corner and you're way off line and there's still lots of corner to go and you can brush the brakes with your left foot to tuck back into the proper line and do damage control on your mistake. This feature has no downside imo but you lose it when pedal dancing, this goes back to my earlier statement, if you're great at judging corners and nailing it at 99% 100% of the time pedal dancing doesn't lose you much here (which is why track guys advocate it, they've practiced the same handful of corners hundreds of times, autoxers don't have that luxury). I believe this is also what leads to ice mode where the car reduces brake pressure because it thinks you're on a low grip surface so this is the biggest drawback of pedal dance and why most autoxers don't recommend it because the advantages aren't that great for us. Again if you're good on the brakes losing this is of minimal impact to your driving. Most people aren't good on the brakes, only the greats are.

Electronic Brake Distribution
This is probably the one odd thing imho the car does that I understand why the pedal dance is attractive to the average driver and autoxer, the car actively feeds pressure to the rear brakes to slow the weight transfer of the car and getting rid of it via the pedal dance you can really blend your inputs and get some amazing corner entry rotation. I want to try a stock car again and see how pedal dancing affects it because I had a real problem over-driving corner entry with it, I think the weight transfer may have helped with that. From what I understand this is one of the things that lead to CSG's testing and that thread about it.

Auto-LSD
So this car has a torsen differential, when one wheel is off the ground or begins slipping excessively the torsen goes open and becomes useless. To combat this Toyobaru put a function in to brake the drive wheel that's slipping excessively to push power to the wheel that still has traction. When it happens it feels bad because the car is slowing down, the brake is being activated. I didn't really think it ever showed up on autox but a few weeks back on my shit Firestones messing around for once I could feel it happening, what should have been a nice big sustained slide felt like the car was dropping anchor. I think with higher grip tires it's a lot harder to get to the point where the inside wheel is spinning to the point that the car feels like it needs to intervene which is why most autoxers shrug at this point and say they've never felt it since they're on very grippy tires. This can be a big deal on track when you hit a curb and lift a wheel, the brake kicks in and the power delivery does something funky that I haven't experienced that scares the shit out of people that have. In an autox scenario, I'd rather have the car drop anchor than have my dumb lead foot ruin a run.

tl;dr pedal dance makes sense for the track, less sense for autox, don't listen to my bullshit test for yourself.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
FirstWinter (01-21-2019), H1C (01-22-2019), Icecreamtruk (01-24-2019), imhereforthecar (01-24-2019), Ultramaroon (01-26-2019)