View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #141
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
im surprised there aren't more homemade splitters popping up. Some of these companies charge a premium for flat stock. The ft86sf one is at least a good price and is water jet cut, so its at least made out of something relatively hard. Im about to just buy a big flat chunk of ABS and cut it up with a jig saw after seeing some of the prices on something im going to smash the hell out of.
if you take a look at the original post you will see that I was initially planning to do the same but keep in mind, my friend who followed that route ended up spending about $100 on materials and another $100 or so for someone professional cut and align the part for him and I am pretty sure he would jump on a splitter like this if it was avaliable for his Miata (unluckily Miata aftermarket support is very limited), I think it looks fine but the material looks a lot stronger on Hancha/FT86SF's splitter (compared to ABS plastic)..and they did a great job providing the good thought product, necessary parts, installation instructions and good packaging.. if you consider all that I think it's well worth the $300..

you can still try to cut it that ABS plastic and align by removing bumper but at that point you will be spending good amount of time and possibility to ruin the part you purchase, if you're really experienced with that kind of stuff though and don't mind spending hours working on it I'd say go for it . I also like to save some money on basic stuff, in my opinion $650 is ridiculous for a brake ducting kit and insert so I wanted to make my own, see my Custom Brake ducting mod in DIY section (in my signature) and in order to figure out a good method I had to destroy a 12 ft ducting hose (costs about $70) .. I'm still happy that I didn't spend the $650 on that so it all comes down to cost and effort

for the rest , I think @FT-86 SpeedFactory @plucas @eric6 can better answer your questions.. I am waiting on the new race version upgrade with supporting rods and hopefully I can try the newer version on the upcoming track events, I have couple events scheduled this week and will report back

Last edited by glamcem; 07-08-2014 at 02:42 PM.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote