View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #63
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMCS03 View Post
The sulfur smell is when the fuel mixture is running too rich. At Full throttle, high RPMs not all the fuel is being burned due to things /reasons like Bad air to fuel ratio etc... the partially burned (oxidized) fuel is what makes the sulfur smell.
I dont want to say this but I will anyways. I notice it more on lower horsepower cars like your eco box cars where the engine wasnt built to be Pushed hard at high RPMs. I smell it a handful of times in my previous BMWs probably less than 3-4 times and never smelled it in my Porsche. But smell it all the time in my rental cars like Corolla, sentra's and various eco cars.

I have not pushed the FRS yet so i cant comment.
You are correct.. at WOT the engine management runs the mixture rich to keep detonation at check and lower EGTs. So you get a whiff of unburnt fuel as the vacuum behind the car pulls in some exhaust smell.. I have this with my other cars as well.. M3 and vettes did it too..
You can also get a whiff of the guy in front of you as he blasts with his foot down trying to impress you..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote